Fustic House in Saint Lucy by Personal Villas - Stunning Luxury with Lagoon-Shaped Pool
FUSTIC HOUSE, Fustic Village, Saint Lucy, Barbados
Built in the early 18th century, this stately home of coral stone exudes traditional charm. This 11-acre property set in the north of the island was re-designed between the late 60s and early 70s by celebrated English theatrical designer Oliver Messel for Charles Graves (brother of the poet Robert Graves). This designer’s signature style was in making indoor and outdoor spaces seamlessly flow together – creating a comfortable and elegant family home of exceptional beauty.
The extensive property is perched on a coral ridge with unforgettable views of the Caribbean coastline, with a park of mahogany trees amidst mature, lush gardens – initially designed by Todd Langstaffe-Gowan, landscape designer for the Royal Palace of Hampton Court; and more recently updated by the owners, avid horticulturist themselves. The impeccably kept grounds with a koi-filled lotus lake, provide a peaceful oasis to stroll or relax. In January 2019, the gardens at Fustic House were featured in The Daily Telegraph.
The stunning home offers seven luxury suites spread across four separate wings with over 13,000 square feet of living space. The Great House features the master bedroom suite overlooking the Caribbean views and a guest bedroom, library and salon on the upper floor. The main floor offers indoor and courtyard dining areas, and a kitchen. The adjoining Messel Wing has two additional suites with a large sun terrace. Connected via pretty pathways the Plantation Wing and the Pavilion are close by but more private. The Plantation Wing contains two large suites featuring private outdoor showers, an open atrium and a central sitting court with an exercise/games room. The Pavilion is set in a tropical ravine and offers a further bedroom suite with an outdoor shower, kitchenette and media/reception room. The large reception room boasts a high-tech home cinema. This area is surrounded by wrap-around purple heartwood terracing – with a mahogany tree growing through the west deck.
The natural lagoon-shaped pool which is set in the natural rock cliffside just steps from the Great House is fed by ionized water – similar to swimming in a natural spring. At night the pool evokes magic with its lights set below. The expansive sun deck adjacent to the pool is built over the ravine within the trees -like a giant treehouse. Picture yourself with the scenic view as your backdrop, tanning or having an aperitif before a sumptuous dinner prepared by a chef on staff – Andy Taylor, formally of Lonestar Restaurant and Maddox fame. Fustic House Private Estate, the ideal getaway for large families or groups, offers the finest in Caribbean island living.
Guests have the use of the owner’s beachfront Day-House, which is located in Half Moon Fort, just a 5-minute walk from the villa. Here you can relax on the cobblestone patio and enjoy a close-up view of the turquoise Caribbean Sea, as you enjoy a tasty lunch prepared by our Fustic House chef, or keep an eagle eye on the horizon for the green flash as the sun sets, sipping a tropical cocktail brought to you by our ever-eager-to-please butler. This beautiful white-sand beach is yours to enjoy, with fantastic swimming and snorkeling just steps away!
* Lagoon-shaped Pool, Beach Nearby
* Garden, Gazebo, Terrace, Sun Deck
* Fitness Room, Game Room, Ping Pong Table, Croquet, Boules
* Volleyball/Badminton, Children’s Play Area, Books
* Home Theatre, CD Player, DVD Player, Stereo, Cable TV, Wifi
* Air-Conditioned Bedrooms, Ceiling Fans, Hair Dryer
* Guard (24 hours), Security Safe
* Pool Shower, Koi-filled lotus lake
* Watersports by request
* Three Housekeepers – Including a laundress, assistant butler (Required for party 10+ at an additional cost)
* Cook, Cook/Kitchen Assistant
* Estate Manager
* Bedroom 1 at Great House – Master: King-size bed, Toilet, Tub, Shower, Double Vanity, Ensuite
* Bedroom 2 at Great House – Wisteria, King-size bed, Toilet, Shower, Single Vanity, Bathroom Adjacent
* Bedroom 3 at Messel Wing – Sunset, 2 Twin beds convertible to king, Ensuite, Shower, Single Vanity
* Bedroom 4 at Messel Wing – Seaview, 2 Twin beds convertible to king, Ensuite, Shower, Single Vanity
* Bedroom 5 at Plantation Wing – Mahogany Suite, King bed, Ensuite, Tub, Outdoor Shower, Double Vanity
* Bedroom 6 at Plantation Wing – Wicker Suite, King-size bed, Ensuite, Tub, Outdoor Shower, Double Vanity
* Bedroom 7 at Pavilion – King-size bed, Outdoor Shower, Shower, Single Vanity, Bathroom Adjacent
1. CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for, based on two persons per bedroom. Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will be required to pay for all excess persons immediately, or shall vacate the villa immediately, without refund.
2. COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Personal Villas and affiliated on-island property managers shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. Villa management reserves the right to be allowed a reasonable amount of time to cure a problem. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforeseen mechanical failures such as the supply of electricity, telephone service, internet service, water, pool filtration systems, hot tubs, air conditioning, television or cable service, appliances, etc. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problems or damage to their villa IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour.
3. NO PETS: Pets of any kind are NOT allowed in or on the villa’s premises without specific written permission from Personal Villas (granted prior to arrival). A pet or evidence of a pet found on the premises will cause immediate eviction, and forfeiture of the Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
4. QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties, commercial uses or functions such as weddings are allowed without advance WRITTEN permission from Personal Villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood, particularly after 10 pm at night. If the Guest is found to have had a wedding or any sort of group gathering for more persons than officially scheduled and paid for at the villa, and/ or without Personal Villas advance written permission, he is subject to forfeiture of his entire villa security deposit to the villa’s owner, at the joint discretion of Personal Villas and the villa’s owner.
5. SMOKING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, DRUGS AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Smoking is NOT permitted inside the villa. (In most cases smoking is allowed in outdoor spaces—please check with your rental agent). Guest and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa any illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property. Any illegal activity is strictly prohibited.