Jasper in Terres Basses by Personal Villas - The Prime of Caribbean Living
* 15% off on all arrivals throughout Low Season 2023
* For 7 nights minimum stay
* Please inquire for more details.
JASPER, Terres Basses, St Martin
This unique island home was once the property of its namesake, the artist Jasper Johns and was designed and built in the mid 70s by the celebrated postmodern architect Philip Johnson. The property has recently undergone a complete renovation and whilst upgrades have been made to the level of comfort and amenities, much care and attention was taken to ensure that the Johnson ethos of minimalism and purity of line was preserved, and that the soul of the house remained intact.
All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exalts, or stimulates the persons in that space. – Philip Johnson
Created as an artist’s island retreat to inspire and uplift, the chosen site was paramount. Situated in Terres Basses, right on the border between French and Dutch St Martin, the property rests high on the hillside enjoying sweeping water views across the scenic Simpson Bay Lagoon. Immersed in nature, surrounded by lush vegetation, the house blends in effortlessly with the verdant landscape. White walls provide a perfect canvas for the silhouettes of the abundant vegetation and the warm tones of terracotta create a beautiful contrast to the water and sky.
Throughout the property, interesting perspectives are created using simple architectural lines and the natural stone walls and tree lined pathways draw the eye to the stunning vistas beyond. Along the front of the house a veranda frames the stunning blue view over the water, and to the rear a tranquil cloistered garden is enclosed by natural stone walls. Sheltered and almost monastic, the quiet walled garden harbors a large deep pool and sunny terrace with tall and leafy gum trees that create shade and dapple the light in the hot afternoons.
A comfortable poolside lounge with large teak day beds offers a further shaded area and an ornamental pool adds to the Zen-like tranquility of the garden. Natural cooling from the trade winds is maximized by both the privileged elevation of the site and the clever system of louvers, ensuring that the home stays cool even during the hottest summer months. On overly windy days the large glass doors on the waterfront side of the house can be closed so that the house always remains sheltered from inclement weather.
The luminous, almost church-like interior with its lofty high ceiling has on one side, large glass sliding doors that run for almost the entire length of the room, opening out to the veranda and filling the room with the 180-degree view of the water. The view at night is just as sublime especially at full moon, shining over the water and the island coastline lights up. On the opposite side the large floor-to-ceiling screen doors overlook the walled garden and open out to a covered dining terrace.
The living space includes a TV viewing area with a large comfortable couch at one end and at the opposite end the bespoke light oak kitchen and white quartz-topped center island turn food prep into a convivial and social occasion. The kitchen features all the modern appliances for a gourmet cooking experience.
The interior space is completed by the three bedrooms: two adjacent to the main living area with views across the water and a third bedroom to the rear of the house is accessed from the garden. The two bedrooms at the front of the house have floor-to-ceiling water views and beautiful bathrooms with iridescent Bisazza mosaic tile showers in greens and blues that reflect the view beyond. The third bedroom to the rear has its own lovely stone-walled garden, with an ornamental pool and fountain and a pergola seating area filled with tropical plants. The en-suite bathroom features an indoor shower as well as a beautiful open-air shower set in the lush and private tropical garden.
Awaken your inner artist with a stay in this beautiful home. Villa Jasper with its unsurpassed surroundings and unique style will not disappoint!
This property is available as 2 or 3 bedrooms.
TV | Stereo system
BBQ grill | Dryer | Washer | Wireless Internet | Iron | Bed linens | Desk | Extra pillows and blankets | Garden or backyard | Hangers | Nespresso | Urban Cultivator | Wine Cooler
Near Ocean | Free parking on premises | Free parking on street | Sea view | Water View
Bedroom 1: King Bed, TV, Desk with Chair, Ensuite Bathroom, Ocean View
Bedroom 2: King Bed, TV, Ensuite Bathroom, Ocean View
Bedroom 3: King Bed, Ensuite Bathroom with Indoor and Outdoor Showers, Private Garden
* For all Holiday requests, please contact our team. Many properties will accept a minimum of 7-nights but we prefer 14 nights if the dates overlap Christmas or New Year’s week.
1. CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for, based on two persons per bedroom. Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will be required to pay for all excess persons immediately, or shall vacate the villa immediately, without refund.
2. COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Personal Villas and affiliated on-island property managers shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. Villa management reserves the right to be allowed a reasonable amount of time to cure a problem. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforeseen mechanical failures such as the supply of electricity, telephone service, internet service, water, pool filtration systems, hot tubs, air conditioning, television or cable service, appliances, etc. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problems or damage to their villa IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour.
3. NO PETS: Pets of any kind are NOT allowed in or on the villa’s premises without specific written permission from Personal Villas (granted prior to arrival). A pet or evidence of a pet found on the premises will cause immediate eviction, and forfeiture of the Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
4. QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties, commercial uses or functions such as weddings are allowed without advance WRITTEN permission from Personal Villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood, particularly after 10 pm at night. If the Guest is found to have had a wedding or any sort of group gathering for more persons than officially scheduled and paid for at the villa, and/ or without Personal Villas advance written permission, he is subject to forfeiture of his entire villa security deposit to the villa’s owner, at the joint discretion of Personal Villas and the villa’s owner.
5. SMOKING, ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, DRUGS AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Smoking is NOT permitted inside the villa. (In most cases smoking is allowed in outdoor spaces—please check with your rental agent). Guest and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa any illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property. Any illegal activity is strictly prohibited.